Timothy Garton Ash is one of those completely deranged people that fawn non stop over the European Union. He is more in love with it that Ken Clarke. So I was interested to see that in his latest piece he successfully showed why I hate the EU so much.
Take the list of things that many Europeans consider to be most characteristic of us - by contrast with the United States. We Europeans believe that the free market should be tamed by values of social justice, solidarity and inclusiveness, realised through a strong welfare state. We don't have capital punishment. We believe that military force should only be used as a last resort and with the sanction of international law. We support international organisations. We love multilateralism and abhor unilateralism. We tend to think that men and women should be able to live more or less as they please with whomever they please, irrespective of gender and sexual orientation. We pride ourselves on our diversity.Lets look at those carefully.
- Social justice, solidarity and inclusiveness are code word for screwing the taxpayer so that lefties can get useless jobs in the public sector.
- A strong welfare state, is the root of all evil
- We don't have capital punishment, but we have hordes of evil bastards that deserve the chop.
- Military force should only be used as a last resort and with the sanction of international law, equals, lets give China and Russia a veto over national interest.
- We love multilateralism and abhor unilateralism, which is why we do nothing but talk
- We tend to think that men and women should be able to live more or less as they please, which is why we have created tens of thousands of regulations to ensure that they don't stray from the prescribed path
- We pride ourselves on our diversity, except diversity of opinion.