Now and again a story will surface, which on its own explains so much of what is wrong with the EU. This is one such story:
At the heart of the French idea is the elimination of national vetoes in justice and police cooperation and workers' protection rules, through a legal construction which does not require a change in current EU treaties.In case you are in any doubt, that means removing the vetoes that exist in current treaties, without having to alter the treaties themselves or create new treaties superseding them.
This single idea contains within it almost all of the false ideas that sustain this worthless project.
- The project is so important that procedure, rules and democracy are irrelevant
- Momentum is everything. Whether an idea is good or bad is less relevant than whether it keeps the juggernaut moving.
- The people are fools and need to be bullied. Just because they voted against the Constitution does not mean we can listen to them.
- Taking over more powers is always good. Getting rid of vetoes is not questioned from a logical standpoint, it’s obviously a good idea.
- Countries that wish to keep control of areas of policy that others think should be EU controlled, are just being obstructive.
- France can use the EU to solve all of its problems at everyone else expense.